Friday 12 December 2008

Sweet potato, halloumi and rocket salad

On request by my mother, Lisa and Alison, here is the recipe for a fail-proof starter or lunch. This is also for the beneift of Marios, being the only Cypriot I know. Knowing my luck he probably hates halloumi ;o)

I originally got it from my friend Jen on the night we ate (or tried to eat) the most epic cheesecake I have ever seen, which was made from about 6 kilogrammes of chocolate... Alas I don't have *that* particular recipe...

So:

Serves 4 as starter or 3 for lunch

Ingredients:
500g sweet potatoes, sliced to about a centimetre thickness
3 tbsp olive oil
250g halloumi cheese
75g rocket

For the dressing:
5 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp lemon/lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp black onion seeds (kalonji)
1 red chilli deseeded and finely sliced (or I use chilli oil instead)
2 tbsp chopped lemon thyme
salt and pepper


To make:
1. Mix together the dressing ingredients. Sniff as required.



2. Par-boil the sweet potatoes in lightly salted water for 2 minutes, then drain and fry for 10 minutes


3. Slice the cheese and grill on a lightly-oiled foil-covered grill for about 3 minutes or until nicely browned

4. Put rocket on the plate and pile on the sweet potato, haloumi and dressing.




...and that's it. Warning though - the dressing is very sweet so you may like to cut down the honey content a bit. You absolutely can't do it without black onion seeds though, they are a-ma-zing!



*

3 comments:

Blackbeard said...

Yummy! And I do love halloumi in any shape or form...

Bethan said...

sounds gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

what if there isn't sweet potatoes,,, do you have a suggestion of what might go with this salad instead?