Thursday 5 March 2009

Recent Projects

Last night I finished two items I'd been working on. This has never happened before so I felt an overwhelming sense of achievement... then I realised how tragically sad I've become. Moving here, being quite poor due to a short term contract, and not knowing huge numbers of people (yet) has meant that most nights are spent knitting or crocheting furiously whilst Liam reads a book - especially as we don't have cable tv (i.e. we have a telly but no reception, Liam is very pleased with this situation).

Anyway, I thought I'd share some of the recent projects I've finished since being here.

First was Liam's "Simon Cowl", quickly knitted in 3x3 rib on a 5mm circular needle in Paton's Soy Wool Stripes. I had to line it with some fleece I obtained from an old scarf from Value Village (a charity shop superstore for UK readers) as it was a bit itchy and also for extra warmth in adverse weather conditions. I think the stripes worked out pretty well (and he wears it most days, so it can't be that bad!).


Second was a hat for me. I'm bored of wearing my tweed peaked cap (especially as I keep hitting Liam in the face with it when I want to give him a peck on the cheek), and I often have my hair up which causes problems with other hats I own. So, I made the Star-Crossed Slouchy Beret by Natalie Larson (a free Ravelry download). I used smaller needles due to my notorious pin head, but it's still a bit big. It'll do for now though...



My favourite so far though is the crochet Sidesaddle Cluster Pullover from the Loop-d-Loop Crochet book. I really like that I now know how to crochet matching buttons using plastic curtain rings.


I have another project that is 90% done, which is my Cabled jumper that I started over Christmas. This is another free pattern. Typically I didn't have the right needles so did it on smaller ones, but this had led to the nightmare scenario that I have now RUN OUT OF WOOL! Gah! This is despite changing the arms to make them narrower. I can't seem to find anything remotely similar here so have tasked a friend back in Brum to find me some to post. Fingers crossed. If she can't find me some I may have to unravel it and start again on bigger needles. I might cry if that happens...

3 comments:

Bethan said...

Utterly fabulous! and inspires me to get on and finish a tiny tea cosy i've not done anything on for ages!! I love the hat - thought you'd only just started knitting and this looks difficult and perfect! You mustn't think it's sad. Celebrate! A perfect skill for a cold country as well :-)

Hen Goodchild said...

I (re)started knitting in September last year so I guess I've been knitting for 7 months (but only knitted three things in that time!). Mum taught me the basics when I was little but I never got the hang of it. For some reason it's coming to me much easier this time round!

Also, the hat was a really easy cable pattern, perfect for first-timers.

tankgirl said...

As always all of these are ace - I especially like Liam's s'cowl :O)

Nothing sad about it at all, but I know how it feels to be new to an area and feel a little lonesome. The good thing is that you have things to do that you enjoy and are good at. Make the most of having the free time you need to enjoy your hobbies.

In a similar need to fill time (I am feeling similarly stuck in as Alex is working on two projects and I can't drink at the moment) I have bought myself a crochet book, three hooks and some wool and am hoping that I might get somewhere with it this time.

...missing you! Also got threaded yesterday when out on my buying spree. You'd be proud of me, got it all from the market :O) Just got to find some seriously easy patterns now to build my confidence.